Sunday, April 13, 2008

Why Wikipedia sucks

I’ve been banned from wikipedia. I’m not allowed to edit anything anymore. Did I spam? Nope. Was I vulgar? Nope. All I did was add relevant links to an article (and not even links to my own sites)

The article I’m talking about is the one on Internet Slang.

I not only added links to my own site: noslang.com (an authority site on internet slang according to Google, Kim Kommando, Ken Leebow, Wired, NBC etc..) but to a few other slang dictionaries and slang related sites as well. These included:

NoSlang Internet Slang Translator
Internet Acronym Dictionary
Internet Abbreviation Dictionary
British Internet Slang Dictionary
NetLingo - downloadable internet slang dictionary

Do any of these sites seem irrelevant?

Ordinarily I wouldn’t be mad.. but Some Mod on a Power Trip, AbsolutDan seems to think that only the site: FOLDOC.org deserves to be linked there. He’s painstakenly removed every other site.


What’s so great about this site and not the others? Why is it given preferential treatment? Does Dan have a relationship with this site? My guess is probably.

It’s sad to see that wikipedia admins can go on power trips like this. What’s worse is, all of these sites were linked on wikipedia at one time, and have been there for over a year. All I did was put them all (not just mine) back after some crazy admin removed them all.

- more -


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may be happy to hear that the Wikipedia editor you refer to - AbsolteDan, has since ceased to be an active editor. I wonder if this article had anything to do with it? He even explicity declines personally responding to comments/queries about his edits.
Maybe it's time to update those links?

Anyway - I wouldn't stress too much about wikipedia being inherently flawed. Any serious researcher will research serioiusly - it's only the millions of us half-assed "good enough sum-up" of a topic that check wikipedia. Yes, it's sad that literally millions are deprived of fair, balanced or sometimes vital information on important topics, and it's sad that wikipedia has become so trusted in the collective unconsious. But that always has been, and always will be the case. Whilst people still live on the earth, there will be rumour, hear-say, conjecture, bias, embarrassment, vested interests, lies, damn lies and statistics.

And - to be fair - I do kinda like it that way. I get to feel smug for thinking I know better than other people.